Monday, October 31, 2022

The Supreme Court

I've always been interested in history and politics. I was an officer in my high school's history club and took an AP government course my senior year, so I've always understood the gist of the supreme court and how they function. This video covered mostly general information but there were a few small things I did not know. I wasn't aware that anyone unhappy with a court ruling could petition their case to the court, even prisoners. I was shocked to learn that the supreme court didn't always have high respect, and it wasn't until Marbury V. Madison with the help of John Marshall that they became respected. I was also shocked to find out that they receive around 7,000 potential cases each year, and that court decisions were released almost immediately to the press.

My most important takeaway from the video was when one justice said that interpreting the Constitution never gets easier or more clear on how to do so. It makes sense because the Constitution is such an old, intricate, important document and the judges know they must cross reference every aspect of a case to see if it really is constitutional. They decide on cases with the thought of the American people always in mind and I imagine it is very hard to do so despite how long you've been serving on the court.

The most surprising thing I learned was that when it is announced or reported that the court upheld a decision or ordered for something it doesn't mean they've taken any true action. Upholding something could mean not agreeing to take a case based on a prior one-- simply turning a case down the terminology is "upholding". The video did not change much of what I already thought of the Supreme Court. I have always believed it is one of the most honorable positions in our government and I respect their rulings despite backlash from the country. I believe they act with the best interest of the American people. After all, they are American citizens themselves; they do hold high status, but they are equal to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment